Monday, February 17, 2014

All Day Cooking-palooza!

Because I was a teenager in the 90s and went to Lollapalooza more than once myself...

Yeah, I was there...what?

Anyway, usually this extravaganza of cooking/food prep happens on Sundays, but because of President's Day, I had an extra day this week and last night was our splurge meal at Max Burger in West Hartford, which I normally love, but made me pretty ill last night.  Which I'm taking as a good sign.

What I made:

1.  Primavera Bolognese
2.  Tuna Noodle Casserole
3.  Sloppy Joe Stuffed Peppers
4.  Asian chicken with cauliflower fried rice
5.  Paleo blueberry muffins

What I  did:


First of all, I'm not going to lie...this little project did take me close to six hours.  But I also made three recipes for the first time, which always adds to the time.  You could also break it down into smaller steps, too.  I could have, for example, processed more of the veggies when I got home from the store yesterday.

1.  Prepped and roasted veggies for bolognese.  This is one of those awesome "hide the veggies" recipes.  It doesn't have to be, but for my little babe, it works best to hide the veggies, so they get roasted, then pureed, before I make the actual sauce.



2.  Made the unbelievably yum smelling marinade for the chicken thighs.  Put those in the refrigerator to let them marinate until I cook them tomorrow.

3.  Made the cauliflower fried rice...mostly out of curiosity.  Plus, I was letting my roasted veggies for the sauce cool a bit before I started working with them.
     It was pretty good; albeit a bit mushy.  I think I may have over-processed my cauliflower a bit.

4.  Made the tuna noodle casserole.

5.  Made the stuffed peppers.

6.  Made paleo blueberry muffins.

How I Did It:



  • Karen Lenahan's Primavera Bolognese with spaghetti squash


     Aside from making a massive amount (think double batch; plenty to freeze), its also delicious and  everyone in the house loves it.

                                                    Primavera Bolognese Recipe

     You can also find out more about Karen and her amazing catering/take out/bakery business here:


                                               
   

  • Asian marinated chicken thighs and cauliflower fried rice  



       The "rice" I'm improvising from a few different recipes I've seen on-line

Cauliflower Fried Rice:

Ingredients:

1 small head cauliflower "riced" in a food processor
    This a pretty simple process -- cut off the florets and then process in food processor until the              cauliflower becomes a rice-like consistency.

3 strips of nitrite-free thick-cut bacon, cut into small strips

handful of asparagus, trimmed and cut into small pieces

1/2 medium sized eggplant, cubed

handful of mushrooms

small onion, diced

scallions

fresh ginger, grated on a microplane, about a tbsp. total

1 tbsp coocnut aminos

1 tbsp fish sauce

Directions:

1.  Fry up the bacon, removing the bacon from the pan when crisp.

2.  At this point, if you were going for a more authentic fried rice, you'd do a quick, very thin omlette in the pan, but I was making this to have a tomorrow, so I skipped this part.

3.  Start adding in veggies.  You could use a mix of any of the above veggies and there are many others that would probably be pretty good, too.

4.  Once veggies have softened up a bit, then add in the cauliflower and the remaining ingredients.  Cover and cook for about four to five minutes.

This tasted pretty yummy as I took it off the stove, albeit the consistency of the cauliflower wasn't much like rice.  I also don't really love rice, so this doesn't bother me.  If texture is your thing, this might bother you.  I've now used cauliflower as a stand-in for mashed potatoes and found pureed cauliflower to be just as good.  I've also used it to make breadsticks and those were pretty Ok, too.


Tuna Noodle Casserole

Yum...noodles...crunchy topping...so not OK.

I had such a craving for real tuna noodle casserole; you know...with lots of cheese, egg noodles, tuna creamy with canned soup, crushed up potato chips on top...and yes, a nutritional nightmare and not exactly the stuff truly splurge-worthy meals are made of, so I figured tuna was too rich a protein source for someone not to have messed around with this recipe.  I was right...  I found a couple different recipes and sorta combined both to come up with this:

Ingredients

1.  1 large head cabbage (I used purple; its prettty...standard green would work just great, too)
2.  Olive oil, coconut oil, or bacon grease for brushing on the cabagge
3.  Salt and pepper
4.  1 onion
5.  8 oz button mushrooms
6.  handful of the inner stems from a celery heart, diced
7.  4 cloves garlic
8.  ½ can anchovies
9.  2 Tbsp butter
10.  1 ½ Tbsp arrowroot powder
11.  1 can coconut milk or 1 1/2 cups milkl
12.  3 (7-oz) cans tuna
13.  ½ lb frozen spinach
14.  ½ cup Wallaby organic sour cream  (seriously...you'll thank me)
15.  1/2 cup almond "bread crumbs" on top

Directions

  • Preheat oven to 400˚ F
  • Slice cabbage into disks, brush with cooking fat (I used bacon grease), salt and pepper


  • Bake for 230-45 minutes, keeping an eye on it.  This will depend on the thickness of the slices you cut.
  • Add the cooking fat to a large pot. Dice the onion and saute the onion in the oil over medium-low heat.
  • While the onion is cooking, thinly slice the mushrooms. Add them to the pot and continue to saute. Mince the garlic, add it to the pot, and continue to saute until the mushrooms and onions have released all of their water and become limp. There should be no water pooled on the bottom of the pot.
  • Add in anchovies if desired and try to break them up a bit with your cooking spoon
  • Add the butter to the pot and allow it to melt. When it is completely melted, add the arrowroot powder. Stir the arrowroot powder and butter together with the onions, mushrooms, and garlic. The mixture will form a thick paste. Continue to stir and cook this mixture for 1-2 minutes, or until it begins to coat the bottom of the pot and turn slightly golden brown. 
  • Add in the milk
  • Stir to incorporate and bring up to a simmer, stirring additionally occasionally.
    • The sauce will not take too long to thicken.
  • Season with pepper and salt (not too much, though, those anchovies will bring a lot of salt)
  • Once thick enough to coat a spoon, turn off the heat and set aside
  • Add in tuna and sour cream
  • You can either thaw your frozen spinach and drain it of water, or just throw it in with the sauce and let it melt in there...I just threw mine in and stirred.
  • I then separated the cabbage slices into "noodles" and mixed them up with the tuna sauce 
  • Top casserole with almond breadcrumbs
  • Preheat oven to 350˚  and bake for 20 minutes

The pre-baked mixture was delicious; just the tuna noodle casserole goodness I had been craving, minus the garbage I didn't want to eat.  Day of, I will heat this up in the oven and viola!  Dinner will be served.


Sloppy Joe Stuffed Peppers

This is a modification of Rachael Ray's sloppy joe recipe, which is a dead-on copy of the types of sloppy joes you remember if you grew up in the 70s and 80s and your mom used a spice packet or some sort of canned sauce.  This just takes out a little sugar and replaces the rolls with peppers and adds some more veggies to the meat mixture.  I took out the brown sugar, subbed in a teensy bit of maple syrup, and added carrots and chopped zucchini.

2 comments:

  1. If I could commute to your house every evening for dinner, you better bet I would! These all sound, and look, amazing...I have a major weakness for old-school tuna casserole, too! #soulmates <3 M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meg! You are the sweetest...seriously.

      Delete